This article is part of the Scheduling Module training. Click here for more information on the Scheduling Module
Shifts are the detailed employee assignments on the schedule. The shift form is generally opened as a popup window on the schedule screen, but can also be opened from other places in the application as described below.
Creating a Shift
New shifts can be created in 2 ways from the schedule screen and 1 other spot in the system:
- Double click any blank cell on the schedule or right click a blank cell and select Add (circled in orange in image below)
- Click the “+ Add Shift” button in the upper left hand side of the schedule (orange arrow in image below)
- To create a shift manually while not in the schedule screen, go to Scheduling – New Shift in the top ribbon
Open an Existing Shift
To open an existing shift there are 2 places to do that
- The main way to open an existing shift is from the schedule screen by double clicking a shift or right clicking and selecting Edit
- Shifts can also be opened from the Requests list (located in the left hand navigation under Scheduling – Requests) to approve/deny requests such as shift trades, shift drops, and claiming open shifts.
The shift form has 3 tabs described below:
This is the primary tab of the form that contains general shift information.
- Job – this is a lookup of all jobs for this location. Selecting a job limits the employee lookup to employees who have that job at this location. Selecting a job also shows templates for that job. Templates will be described a bit later in this same section.
- Date – the date of the shift. If the shift was opened from a spot on the schedule calendar then it will default in that day
- Start and End Times – start and end of shift
- Employee – lookup of employees that is limited by the following criteria:
- Employees are limited to those assigned to this location
- Employees are limited to those assigned the job that is selected
- If a Responsibility is selected then employees are limited to those that have that responsibility assigned
- If a star Rating is selected then employees are limited to those that have that rating or higher on the specific job that’s selected
- If an employee has a scheduling conflict such as they are already scheduled for an overlapping shift or they’ve requested time off for the date and time on this shift, then they’ll still show in the employee dropdown but with the word CONFLICT next to their name. Hovering over the employee in the dropdown will popup details about the scheduling conflict
- Responsibility – this is a lookup to the list of responsibilities assigned to this job. Selecting this will limit employees to only those who have that responsibility. For detailed information refer to the job responsibility training
- Rating – if a star rating is selected then employees are limited to those who have this rating or higher on the selected job. For more details refer to the Employees Tab section of the job training article
- Alert Employee button – if an employee is selected in the Employee dropdown then the Alert Employee button is shown. Pressing this allows you to send an alert with this shift’s details to the assigned employee. It will be sent to the preferred contact method on their employee record (text/email/both)
- Open Shift Alert button – if no employee is selected in the Employee dropdown then the Open Shift Alert button is shown. Pressing this allows you to select a group of eligible employees to alert about this open shift so that they can claim it. The alert will be sent to the preferred contact method on their employee record (text/email/both).
- Template Functionality – shift templates are available to help fill out certain information on the shift. If there is a common shift such as Evening Host that generally has the same details (Start Time, End Time, etc) then when saving the shift the first time, click the Create Template checkbox and a popup will appear allowing you to name the template. Then when you’re creating a new shift and you select the job, all shift templates for this job will appear above the job field (orange arrow in image below). Select a template by clicking it and fields on this shift will be populated from the template to save you time. The fields a template will populate are: Start Time, End Time, Responsibility, Rating
The site tab on a shift allows you to associate this shift with a different address. This is generally used if the employee will be working offsite such as at a catering event/banquet/party. This tab is very flexible and an address can be entered in the following ways:
- You can select a site in the Site dropdown if it already exists in your system and this will populate the address field
- If the site doesn’t exist in your system you can type a name for the site in the Site dropdown and a window will popup asking if you want to add this new site. If you select Yes then the address fields will be shown where you can add an address and save this site for future use
- If you don’t want to save a site but just want to enter a one-time-use address on this shift, then click the Change Address button and a window will popup where you can enter the address for this shift without saving it as a site in the system
Employees can make requests for the following: Time Off, Shift Trade, Shift Drop, and Claim Open Shift. Once the employee submits this request the manager will be alerted and can choose to approve or deny the request. You would do that on this tab by selecting your desired status in the Request Status field and saving. Additional detail about why the shift was approved/denied can be entered in the Request Comment field for the employee to see.