Reporting Categories provide you 10 user defined categories you can assign to locations to group them on reports. For example, if your company is separated into regions, then you can name 1 of the 10 categories as Region and then setup your regions in the system and assign them to locations. Then when running reports you’ll have the option to filter by region and can select which regions you want to see on the report. You can use all 10 of the categories or none of them, however you choose to set it up.
To Setup Categories
- Open Preferences and go to the Location Reporting Categories tab (Administration – Preferences in the top ribbon)
- Type a name in the box next to the categories you want to use and then save. All blank categories will be excluded.
To Create Category Values and Assign to Locations
- Open a location (Accounting – Administration – Locations in left hand navigation pane and then double click a location in the list to open it)
- Go to the Reporting Categories tab (notice that only 3 categories are visible because on Preferences, the other categories were not setup)
- If you find the value you want in the list then select it
- If the value is not in the list then add the value by typing the new value in the field and hit Tab and a window will popup asking if you’d like to add this value. Choose Yes and a window will popup where you can edit the name if desired and then click Save and Close
- Note: to edit an existing value in the list, select that value and then click the blue label (such as Area in the image below) and it will open that value so you can edit the name and then Save and Close
- When finished assigning each appropriate value to the location, then Save the location record