Restaurant365 comes with a powerful ad hoc report viewer that allows users to slice and dice data. These ad hoc reports and charts can also be shown in dashboards so users can make decisions that increase productivity and reduce costs. Security roles determine who can see and modify these elements. Ad hoc reports and dashboards are accessed in the left hand navigation under Operations – Reports – Ad Hoc Reports or Dashboard respectively and users with access to the accounting module can also see them under Accounting – Reports.
Reporting Elements Defined
Below is a description of the different elements of the Business Analytics module:
- Ad Hoc reports – These reports allow users to slice and analyze data and can also be added to dashboards. An Ad Hoc report can be a chart, table, or pivot table. Restaurant365 comes with a number of pre-defined Ad Hoc reports. With the proper security level, users can also create their own. For more information about working with Ad Hoc reports click here.
- Dashboards – These are a read-only view of Ad Hoc reports where users can see multiple charts and tables on one page. Restaurant365 comes with a number of pre-defined dashboards. With the proper security level, users can create their own and the Restaurant365 dashboard list will be replaced with their own custom dashboard list.
- Set Default Dashboard button – To set the default dashboard, a user should press this button while viewing the dashboard they want as their default. This will set it for that user only.
- Create/Edit Dashboard button – If no dashboard is selected in the Dashboard dropdown, the Create Dashboard button will show. Clicking this will open a new blank dashboard where a user can drag on desired reports and then save. If a dashboard is selected in the dropdown then the button says Edit Dashboard and clicking it will open an editable version of the selected dashboard. For more information about creating and modifying dashboards click here
- Dashlets – The Dashlets dropdown displays the Ad Hoc reports that are on the dashboard the user is currently viewing. When a user sees a specific chart on the dashboard they wish to view in more detail they can select it from the Dashlets list and that report will be opened.
Security Access to Dashboards and Ad Hoc Reports
There are 3 aspects to enabling Business Analytics features and determining which reports specific users can see:
- Company-wide Access to Features – All companies have some access to dashboards but how much access depends on if the Business Analytics module is purchased or not. If the module IS NOT purchased then only pre-defined dashboards created by Restaurant365 are available. If the module IS purchased your company has access to all pre-defined Ad Hoc reports, including the ability to use the powerful Ad Hoc Designer to analyze specific reports in greater detail with on-the-fly analysis. You can also create and save new reports and dashboards. Since dashboards are so easy to create (just dragging on your desired reports and hitting Save), the pre-defined dashboards are removed when the module is purchased to simplify the dashboard list to only those you want for your company.
- User-specific Access to Features – There are 3 security levels each user can be given to determine how they interact with Business Analytics based on which User Role is assigned. For information on how to assign security roles click here.
- Business Analytics View Only: Assigning this role adds the Dashboard link to the user’s left hand navigation pane so they can view dashboards. On the Dashboard form this limits the user to only see the Dashboard dropdown as well as the Set Default Dashboard button. They can’t create/modify dashboards or Ad Hoc reports and can’t use the Ad Hoc Designer.
- Business Analytics Admin: This role only functions if the Business Analytics module is purchased and assigning this adds the Dashboard link to the user’s left hand navigation pane so they can view dashboards. This also allows users to create/modify dashboards and Ad Hoc reports and to use the Ad Hoc Designer to further analyze data. On the Dashboard form they will see the additional fields of Create/Edit Dashboard button as well as Dashlets and Ad Hoc report dropdowns.
- No Access: If neither of the above Business Analytics roles are assigned to the user, they do not see the Dashboard link in the left hand navigation pane and have no access to dashboards or ad hoc reports.
- User-specific Access to Reports – When creating a report or dashboard, you can choose whether to save it in the Accounting folder or the Manager folder. If a user has the Restaurant Manager security role then their access within Business Analytics is limited to reports and dashboards stored in the Manager folder. If the user is an Accounting Manager they have access to all reports and dashboards.